A cancer of the lips, inside of the mouth, back of the throat, tonsils or salivary glands, oral cancer occurs more frequently in men than women. Like many cancers, oral cancer can be fatal if it is not detected and treated early. Early detection of this cancer is very important, as it is much easier to treat early on.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer
The warning signs of oral cancer are numerous. You may not be able to spot the earliest signs, which is why regular visits to our dentist are imperative. Dr. Steven J. Brazis is trained to detect signs of oral cancer and performs oral cancer screenings during regular dental appointments. If you notice any of the following symptoms between visits, book an appointment at our dental office as soon as possible for oral cancer screening in Sacramento, California:
– A lump or thick area in the cheek that can be felt with your tongue
– Red or white patches on the tongue, gums or other areas inside of the mouth
– Unexplained loss of feeling or numbness in the mouth
– A swelling of the jaw
– A change in voice
– Trouble chewing or swallowing food
– Unexplained pain or soreness in the mouth
– The feeling that something is caught in your throat
We invite you to contact our office at 916-731-5151 today for more information and to set up your next appointment.